A great home page design engages your visitors and encourages them to explore the site and read further.
The home page is usually the first thing that people see when they land on your website. It must have the information that the user is looking for but you want to be careful not to make your homepage busy and wordy – it should be simple and easy to understand.
The following things need to be considered carefully in achieving an excellent homepage design.
1. Identity of your website
Make a short and simple statement about your website. This is one of the most important things you can accomplish in creating a good homepage design. This will make your visitors identify what your purpose is and it will guide them on to what they are looking for.
Your homepage should:
- Introduce your website to your visitors.
- Give the user a clear path to navigate to your site pages.
- Maximise your brand identity.
2. Make your website clear and simple
We know that the look and feel of a website is important, however we need to make it simple so that the user can easily find some specific information they wanted.
Keep things simple on your homepage:
- Don’t use too many colors on your website as this can cause confusion as to which are the headings, links, and buttons.
- Make use of white space so that your visitors can easily read labels and information. Don’t make your visitors hunt for key pages.
- You should choose one to two fonts to use throughout your website.
- Use graphics when it is necessary. Don’t put graphics or images just to make your website beautiful.
3. Navigation to your site pages
Having navigation will ensure your visitors can find what they are looking for when on your website. They will know what to click next or what page they want to view.
Here are some tips on how to use your navigation in an effective way:
- Keep your navigation structure simple – it should be at the top of the page.
- Include the navigation on the footer so that the viewer does not need to go back to top just to navigate on other pages.
- Use breadcrumbs in your site pages so people will know what page they’re currently in.
- Put a search box near the top page so the viewer can search the site easily with keywords.
- Use call to actions: this is the best way to direct your visitors to the important or informational pages of your website.
4. Consistency with the look and feel of your site
The look and feel of your site should be consistent across all of your site pages. The colours, fonts, backgrounds, buttons, headings, and more. It’s important to standardise all elements so that your visitors can easily understand what type of information you have on your website. You can create different layouts on specific pages such as the landing page, but you must have the same style of layout throughout the website.
5. Accessibility to other devices, operating systems and browsers
In order to provide a great user experience to your visitors, your website must be accessible to different devices, operating systems, and browsers. This will give your visitors easy access no matter what device or operating system they are using.
6. Design conventions
Over the years, there are certain web design conventions which internet users have become increasingly familiar with.
Such design conventions include:
- Having the logo at the top left or center.
- Having the logo clickable so it will always bring back the visitors to the homepage.
- Having the main navigation at the near top left side or right side of the page.
- Having a full-width banner design with a call to action or form.
- Having a different colour for buttons and links when they are hovered over.
7. Improving credibility of your website
Using good design strategies on your website will help to build trust with the user if they recognise a well designed website that works.
Other design conventions that will make your website improve credibility are:
- To be clear and honest with your products and services.
- Don’t make your visitors dig more pages just to get the information they want.
- Make it up front so that they can easily see the products or services offered on your website.
- Display some testimonies from your users about your products and services.
- Include a security badge or certificate for visual validation.